Does retinol interact with cancer treatments?

There is little evidence to show either the positive or negative effects of retinol and vitamin A on cancer or cancer treatment.

What little evidence there is shows the positive effects of a healthy diet with vitamin A and retinol in the prevention of cancer.

There is also some proof that topical forms of vitamin A and retinol may help to stop the growth of both cervical and skin cancer.

However, vitamin A and retinol have, at times, reacted adversely with chemotherapy and radiation. It is possible that the antioxidants in vitamin A and retinol can interfere with these treatments.

Additionally, there is no proof that vitamin A and retinol can help to lessen side effects of chemotherapy, such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, or mouth sores.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...
What are retinoids and what role do they play in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
The retinoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A, are good examples of cell receptor activators...
When should I begin using a retinoid to treat signs of aging?
Because retinoids can be used for treating skin conditions, such as acne, it’s not uncommon to presc...
What is topical tazarotene?
Topical tazarotene (Tazorac) is a prescription drug that is applied directly to the skin. It is a re...