Can retinoids make my skin look younger?

Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs of aging and sun damage.

Applying a thin layer nightly of Rx-strength retinoids, such as tretinoin (Renova) or tazarotene (Avage), will thicken the top layer of your skin, build more supporting collagen, soften rough patches, lighten dark blotches, diminish fine wrinkles, and help your skin hold onto moisture.

Unfortunately, it may take 3 or 4 months of daily use for you to see all of these improvements in the mirror. Also, retinoids dry and irritate skin—especially sensitive skin—so you may look worse before you look better.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
Does topical tazarotene have any side effects?
Side effects may include skin redness, pain, itching, a burning or stinging sensation, dryness, infl...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...