What are the risks of using topical retinol?

Risks of topical retinol treatment include:

• light flaking of skin or sensitivity to sunlight, early in treatment
  • interference with cancer treatments (Talk with your doctor before using a topical retinol or vitamin A supplement if you are receiving chemotherapy or radiation therapy.)
  • risk of birth defects if too much is used during pregnancy (Discuss risks and benefits of retinol treatment if you are pregnant or nursing.)
  • overdose, resulting in vitamin A toxicity
  • allergic reaction (Do not use if you are allergic to any of the active ingredients in retinol products.)

Know that certain medical conditions and medications may increase your risk for complications. Do not use topical retinol if you are using any other products containing retinol or alpha hydroxy acid. Discuss your medical history and the medications you take with your doctor before starting retinol treatment.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...
What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...
When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...