Are Retin A and resveratrol different?

Retin A and resveratrol are very different compounds.

Retin A (tretinoin) is a drug. It's a form of vitamin A that is applied to the skin to treat acne or smooth fine lines.

Resveratrol is an anti-inflammatory compound found in many foods. It's most abundant in red wine and grapes. 

Animal studies have suggested that resveratrol reduces the risk of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease and other age-related conditions, but these benefits have not been confirmed in humans yet. 

Retin A and Resveratrol are different chemical compounds.  Retin A is a topical medication typically indicated for treating skin conditions like acne.  It is a prescription only medication. 

Resveratrol is an oral dietary supplement whose marketing claims to have potent 'antioxident like effects (such as increasing cell turnover).

Continue Learning about Retinoids

Should I use topical retinoids for acne if I am pregnant?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are questions about using topical retinoids during pregnancy. There are natural levels of ...
How can retinoids help improve my skin?
Retinoids are the only proven wrinkle reducer on the market. Retinoids can do amazing things, ac...
Can retinoids make my skin look younger?
Vitamin A derivatives, called retinoids, have one of the best track records for reversing many signs...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...