What should I know about Renova (tretinoin) before using it?

Befor

e using Renova (tretinoin), you should know that Renova does not reverse aging or help deep wrinkles or discoloration caused by sun exposure.

Avoid getting Renova on your lips or in your eyes, mouth, or nose.

Renova should not be used if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.

Renova may make your skin more sensitive to ultraviolet light, so use extra protection when exposed to it.

The effects of Renova are gradual, and the full effect may take as long as six months to appear. If you stop using Renova, its effects on fine lines, skin roughness, and hyperpigmentation (excess melanin) will stop too.

The safety of Renova has not been tested beyond a period of 48 weeks.

Avoid using irritating or harsh skin or hair products, such as hair dye, while using this drug, and avoid exposing your skin to harsh weather conditions.

Do not apply Renova to skin that is affected by eczema or cracked.

Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you are taking, as some may interact with this drug.

Continue Learning about Retinoids

When should I start to use retinols or retinoids?
Most of my patients who start using retinols for anti-aging effects begin in their thirties or later...
What should I know about tretinoin topical before using it?
When you are using topical tretinoin creams or gels, you should know what to avoid in order to preve...
What are retinoids?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The term retinoid includes both naturally occurring and synthetic products that classically were...
What should I know before using topical tazarotene?
If you are breastfeeding topical tazarotene may not be a good option for you. It is not known if thi...