Why does restrictive lung disease cause me to cough?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Coughing occurs anytime the airways are irritated or constricted. This could include an infection or an allergen entering the airways. In the case of restrictive lung disease, the restriction of the lungs creates stress on the airways and induces coughing.

Continue Learning about Restrictive Lung Diseases

What is the rate of incidence for restrictive lung disease?
Restrictive lung disease is a term that can be applied to several types of specific lung conditions,...
How is restrictive lung disease caused in children?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Restrictive lung disease is caused in children by scoliosis or disease.
Does restrictive lung disease affect children differently?
Older adults are much more likely to develop restrictive lung diseases because damage to the lungs o...
What are some helpful resources regarding restrictive lung disease?
Some resources for those with restrictive lung disease include the National Heart, Lung, and Blood I...