Who is a candidate for hyperbaric oxygen therapy?

People who are eligible for hyperbaric oxygen fall into some fairly strict guidelines. Two common indications for hyperbaric oxygen therapy are wounds that fail to heal and diabetic foot ulcers. Those people are definitely candidates for the hyperbaric chamber and treatment with hyperbaric oxygen.

Other frequently encountered problems are crush injuries, such as injuries that might be associated with acute trauma, acute arterial insufficiency or radionecrosis of the mandible; these are all indications for hyperbaric medicine.

Dr. John T. Morris, DO
Vascular Surgeon

Candidates for hyperbaric oxygen therapy are people who have a wound and have tried traditional wound healing strategies and have not healed in an appropriate amount of time. For certain wounds, hyperbaric oxygen treatments may be indicated to help if all else fails. This can be used for people of all ages. Medical clearance is required before a person can undergo hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Therapy

How long do hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatments last?
Lakeview HospitalLakeview Hospital
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy usually involves treatment every day, Monday through Friday, for two hours...
How do I determine the operating costs of my oxygen equipment?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and require supplemental oxygen, here is ho...
Is my oxygen supplier required to provide an oxygen concentrator if I fly?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
No. If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and require oxygen therapy, your oxygen...
Will Medicare pay for the cost of electricity my oxygen equipment uses?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
Medicare will not pay for any utility bills as a result of the use of your oxygen equipment if you h...