What is oxygen therapy?

Oxygen is a gas that you need for your body to function. It makes up 21% of the air you breathe. Most people breathe in all of the oxygen they need from air, but for some medical conditions you may need more oxygen than that. Therapies that use oxygen can help your body function better by relieving symptoms caused by not having enough oxygen. They also can help promote healing and help your body fight infection.

Supplemental oxygen therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy are two treatments that provide more oxygen to your body.

Supplemental oxygen therapy can help if you have low levels of oxygen in your blood from certain health conditions. Decreased lung function from lung disease may lead to low blood oxygen levels, for example. Supplemental oxygen, delivered through a breathing tube, mask or nasal prongs, is used to raise blood oxygen levels and treat symptoms of low levels such as irritability, shortness of breath, morning headaches and ankle swelling. Low blood oxygen levels can slow growth in children, but oxygen therapy can help keep development on track.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is used to treat a wide variety of health conditions, including anemia, arterial gas embolism (air bubbles in your blood vessels) and several types of injuries. In hyperbaric oxygen therapy, the air pressure of a room is raised, which allows your lungs to collect almost three times as much oxygen as they normally would. This increase of oxygen in your blood better enables your body to heal and fight infection.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Therapy

Why doesn't supplemental oxygen prevent me from getting short of breath?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
When you have chronic obstructive pulmonary (COPD), low oxygen levels are actually caused by the fai...
What conditions can benefit from hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Originally this treatment was used to help divers who developed decompression sickness, commonly cal...
Is my oxygen supplier required to provide an oxygen concentrator if I fly?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
No. If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and require oxygen therapy, your oxygen...
Will Medicare pay for the cost of electricity my oxygen equipment uses?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
Medicare will not pay for any utility bills as a result of the use of your oxygen equipment if you h...