What should I avoid while using oxygen?

While using oxygen, avoid smoking and being near flames, heat sources and flammable substances. Keep your oxygen away from electrical equipment as well. Don't use any oil-based lubricants on your lips or nostrils while using oxygen. You should never adjust the flow rate of your oxygen unless your doctor tells you to. Getting too little or too much oxygen may harm you. If you use liquid oxygen, be careful not to spill it on your skin and don't carry it in an enclosed bag such as a backpack.

When you undergo hyperbaric oxygen therapy, you will be in a hospital or clinic. Don't bring any materials that may produce a spark or flame into the chamber (such as battery-powered devices or lighters).

Continue Learning about Respiratory Therapy

Who is a candidate for hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Dr. John T. Morris, DODr. John T. Morris, DO
Candidates for hyperbaric oxygen therapy are people who have a wound and have tried traditional woun...
What is hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a treatment where people are given 100 percent oxygen in a pressurized ...
How can I prepare for hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
If you are getting hyperbaric oxygen therapy you should tell your medical provider about any heart o...
Will Medicare pay for the cost of electricity my oxygen equipment uses?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
Medicare will not pay for any utility bills as a result of the use of your oxygen equipment if you h...