How does hyperbaric oxygen therapy help heal wounds?

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps heal wounds by allowing adequate levels of oxygen to be delivered to the wound.  Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is an excellent treatment for hypoxic wounds, or wounds that do not heal due to inadequate oxygenation of the wounds.

During this treatment, people lie in a clear, pressurized chamber and breathe 100% oxygen. Breathing 100% oxygen at a higher pressure within the hyperbaric chamber delivers a higher dose of oxygen to the wound, encouraging the body to fight infection while promoting healing of the wound.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Therapy

Why doesn't supplemental oxygen prevent me from getting short of breath?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
When you have chronic obstructive pulmonary (COPD), low oxygen levels are actually caused by the fai...
Is my oxygen supplier required to provide an oxygen concentrator if I fly?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
No. If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and require oxygen therapy, your oxygen...
How can I prepare for hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
If you are getting hyperbaric oxygen therapy you should tell your medical provider about any heart o...
How do I determine the operating costs of my oxygen equipment?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and require supplemental oxygen, here is ho...