How does my doctor determine how much oxygen I need?

In order to decide whether to prescribe supplemental oxygen therapy for a breathing problem, your doctor will order tests to measure the oxygen levels in your blood, or oxygen saturation. Oximetry and arterial blood gas tests are the two ways to test oxygen saturation. Oximetry is a painless procedure where a clip is attached to your finger, toe, earlobe or foot (in the case of infants) to measure blood oxygen levels. The arterial blood gas test requires that blood be drawn from an artery in your wrist and sent to a lab for analysis of oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Using these results, your doctor may prescribe a specific amount of oxygen (called a flow rate) to increase your oxygen saturation and treat your uncomfortable symptoms.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Therapy

How do I determine the operating costs of my oxygen equipment?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
If you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and require supplemental oxygen, here is ho...
How does hyperbaric oxygen therapy help heal wounds?
Dr. George E. Karras, MDDr. George E. Karras, MD
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps heal wounds by allowing adequate levels of oxygen to be delivered to...
Why doesn't supplemental oxygen prevent me from getting short of breath?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
When you have chronic obstructive pulmonary (COPD), low oxygen levels are actually caused by the fai...
How can I prepare for hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
If you are getting hyperbaric oxygen therapy you should tell your medical provider about any heart o...