What is the respiratory system?

The respiratory system is made up of the organs involved in the interchanges of gases, and consists of the:
  • nose
  • pharynx
  • larynx
  • trachea
  • bronchi
  • lungs
The upper respiratory tract includes the:
  • nose
  • nasal cavity
  • ethmoidal air cells
  • frontal sinuses
  • maxillary sinus
  • larynx
  • trachea
The lower respiratory tract includes the lungs, bronchi, and alveoli.

Continue Learning about Healthy Respiratory System

Eat Plants to Keep Your Lungs Happy
Eat Plants to Keep Your Lungs Happy
Cutting your risk of lung cancer in half sounds pretty good. And all you may have to do to get there is eat more plants. Yep. Plant-based edibles -- ...
How can I tell if my lungs are healthy?
To see if your lungs are healthy, try this test: Run up two flights of stairs or walk six blocks...
How do children's lungs grow?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Babies are born with about 5% of their air sacs. Children's lungs grow by adding air sacs from birth...
Breathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPD
Breathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease makes breathing difficult; your diet shouldn't make it any harder.