What is the vagus nerve's role in lung health?

One of the key players in lung health is the vagus nerve. When the lung expands during normal shallow breathing, that stimulates the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve then sends a message to the brain to constrict the bronchi, making breathing more difficult. That's really one of the reasons why deep breathing helps, uh, deep breathing. Meditation functionally serves to physiologically cut the vagus, so it disrupts the feedback loop of bronchial constriction, allowing you to breathe easier.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Respiratory System

How can I strengthen my lungs?
This simple exercise can be done at any time during the day and will give your lungs a nice mini...
What happens when I breathe in germs?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Sometimes, the air we breathe in contains germs, too. There are four main types of germs: bacteria, ...
What happens when I don’t get enough oxygen?
Pam GroutPam Grout
When you don't get enough oxygen, you literally strangle your cells. It's like putting a noose aroun...
6 Times Your Persistent Cough Is Something More Serious
6 Times Your Persistent Cough Is Something More Serious6 Times Your Persistent Cough Is Something More Serious6 Times Your Persistent Cough Is Something More Serious6 Times Your Persistent Cough Is Something More Serious
When your cough isn’t caused by a cold or allergy, it may be time to call the doctor. By Taylor Lupo A cough is the body’s natural reflux that helps ...