How does my body's use of oxygen change with age?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Getting oxygen from the outside air to inside your cells takes efficient collaboration among your lungs, heart, and the cells they feed. As you age, the efficiency of oxygen delivery, and therefore your ability to perform at a peak level, shifts. The changes in performance with aging are attributed to lower lactate threshold (the point of exercise intensity where the body starts accumulating lactate in the blood), lower exercise economy/efficiency, and lower VO2 max.

http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-After-40-Stay-Strong/dp/0814409946

Continue Learning about Healthy Respiratory System

What is futile breathing?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Most of us suffer from what doctors call "futile breathing," meaning we get a quarter to a fifth of ...
What is the respiratory system?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The respiratory system is made up of the organs involved in the interchanges of gases, and consi...
What does breathing have to do with my cells?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Needless to say, all this nonstop activity requires fuel - lots and lots of it.This is where respira...
Breathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPD
Breathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease makes breathing difficult; your diet shouldn't make it any harder. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) ...