How can I tell if my lungs are healthy?

To see if your lungs are healthy, try this test: Run up two flights of stairs or walk six blocks at a brisk pace. If you can do either one without pausing to rest, your lungs are probably in pretty good shape.

Do this test every month as a way of monitoring your lung function and overall fitness level. One of the warning signs of decreased lung function is a change in your ability to complete the test -- from being able to do the stairs easily to suddenly having a lot of trouble with it.

Continue Learning about Healthy Respiratory System

Why is oxygen so important?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Without oxygen, there can be no flame, no heat, no getting rid of all those darn calories.Your body ...
What happens when I breathe in germs?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Sometimes, the air we breathe in contains germs, too. There are four main types of germs: bacteria, ...
What is the right way to breathe?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Sit up straight and rest your palm on your lower belly. Okay, now take a breath. Which way did your ...
Breathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPD
Breathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPDBreathe Better With 6 Tips for Eating With COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease makes breathing difficult; your diet shouldn't make it any harder. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) ...