Is there any other determining factor to test how well I’m using oxygen?

There are many tests that can be utilized to determine cardiovascular fitness. However, one of the tests I prefer to use is VO2 max testing.  VO2 max is simply a test to determine the volume of oxygen being delivered and used by your muscle cells during physical exertion.  This test is a very good indicator of total cardiovascular fitness but must be done in a clinical setting.  Ask your doctor if you would like to have this test administered. You may also ask your trainer, chiropractor, or physical therapist.  They may not administer the test directly themselves but should know where you can go to get the test completed.
Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

If you can easily walk up two flights of stairs without feeling winded, give yourself a 10. I f you can easily make it up the stairs, but your breathing definitely gets a lot harder, give yourself a 5. If you feel like lying down and taking a nap every time you mount a couple o f flights, mark down 0. Don't despair if you're getting lots o f 0's. Remember that just means you have to learn some techniques for resetting your metabolism and transforming your life.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Healthy Respiratory System

Eat Plants to Keep Your Lungs Happy
Eat Plants to Keep Your Lungs Happy
Cutting your risk of lung cancer in half sounds pretty good. And all you may have to do to get there is eat more plants. Yep. Plant-based edibles -- ...
What is deep abdominal breathing?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
We often hear the word "deep" used to describe particularly long, slow breaths. Describing this type...
What is futile breathing?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Most of us suffer from what doctors call "futile breathing," meaning we get a quarter to a fifth of ...
When Being Out of Breath Is Something Serious
When Being Out of Breath Is Something SeriousWhen Being Out of Breath Is Something SeriousWhen Being Out of Breath Is Something SeriousWhen Being Out of Breath Is Something Serious
Struggling for air? It might be a sign of a larger health concern like low blood pressure or heart failure.