What should I know about Kalydeco before my child takes it?

Before your child takes Kalydeco (ivacaftor), a prescription drug to treat cystic fibrosis (CF), you should know why it is being prescribed, what kind of results to expect, how to take it, what side effects to expect and when to call the doctor. Kalydeco is not for very young children; it is approved for children who are 6 years old or older. Kalydeco treats only one fairly rare form of CF, in which there is a G551D mutation, which occurs in about 4% of people with the disease.

Some children under 12 years of age have developed cataracts while taking Kalydeco. Children should have eye examinations before starting Kalydeco, and then repeat exams regularly during treatment. 

You'll give Kalydeco to your child as a pill twice a day, about 12 hours apart and at about the same times each day. Your child should eat a high-fat snack -- such as nuts or cheese -- before taking Kalydeco because it helps the body absorb the drug better. Make sure you understand enough about Kalydeco so that you can answer any questions your child may have about this new cystic fibrosis treatment.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What type of oxygen therapy will my child receive?
The type of oxygen therapy your child receives depends on physical activities and how much and h...
Can my child receive oxygen therapy?
Yes, your child can receive oxygen therapy if prescribed by the doctor. Oxygen therapy is used i...
What should I know before taking roflumilast?
Roflumilast can trigger or worsen depressive symptoms and increase the risk of suicide. If you have...
Should I call my doctor if my child has problems using oxygen?
Call your child's doctor if your child has any problems using oxygen therapy. If your child has ...