What should I know about Kalydeco before taking it?

Before taking Kalydeco (ivacaftor), you should know whether you have a liver condition. Your doctor will ask you about this and will also take a blood test to see if your liver enzymes are normal. You should know every medication and supplement you are taking and should tell your doctor about them, to make sure none interact with Kalydeco. It's especially important to tell your doctor if you take St. John's wort, certain antibiotics, seizure medications and antifungals.

Kalydeco is a prescription medication for a certain form of cystic fibrosis, a chronic degenerative hereditary disease that affects the mucus glands throughout the body. Before taking Kalydeco, you should know why you are taking it, how to take it, common side effects of the drug and what symptoms should make you call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Will my child need oxygen therapy for the rest of his life?
How long your child needs oxygen therapy depends on why he needs oxygen therapy. If your child h...
Will I need a humidifier with my oxygen therapy?
If you are using transtracheal oxygen therapy (where oxygen comes in through a small tube insert...
What are the precautions for clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist)?
There are several precautions you should discuss with your doctor and/or pharmacist before taking cl...
What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...