What is Pulmozyme?

Pulmozyme is a brand name medication that treats breathing problems associated with cystic fibrosis. Pulmozyme is a synthetic, engineered version of a protein that occurs naturally in the body.

Cystic fibrosis affects lung function by creating a build up of thick and sticky mucus in the lungs. Pulmozyme helps thin and loosen the built up mucus making it easier to breathe. It also lessens the likelihood of infection from built up mucus in the airway. Pulmozyme requires a nebulizer to vaporize the liquid medication and make it easy to inhale. Once treatment begins, people often start to see results within eight days.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Can my child travel while using oxygen therapy?
Using oxygen therapy should not keep your child from traveling. You need to learn the policies o...
What is beractant?
Beractant is a drug created from a bovine (cow) lung extract. It contains fatty acids and proteins. ...
What is clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist)?
Clemastine (Dayhist Allergy, Tavist) is an antihistamine that is used to treat allergy symptoms. As ...
Are allergy and sinus medications safe for my child?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Some are and some aren't. In our book, we give a rundown of allergic rhinitis medications and they v...