What is Kalydeco?

Kalydeco (ivacaftor) is the first drug approved to treat the underlying cause of one form of cystic fibrosis. It works only on a rare form of cystic fibrosis that affects people who have the G551D mutation -- about 1 in 25 people with the disease. Cystic fibrosis is a chronic degenerative inherited disease that affects the mucus glands throughout the body.

In people with this particular form of cystic fibrosis, Kalydeco helps improve the function of a defective protein (called CFTR). Kalydeco is now being studied in combination with other drugs to treat certain other forms of cystic fibrosis.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What type of oxygen therapy will my child receive?
The type of oxygen therapy your child receives depends on physical activities and how much and h...
How effective is roflumilast?
Studies have shown that roflumilast can reduce the number of COPD symptom flare-ups. But it has only...
What should I know before taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor?
If you have impaired liver function, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor may not be a good option for you....
How can I tell if my child needs oxygen therapy?
More than likely, you cannot tell if your child needs oxygen therapy. Your child's doctor needs ...