What is hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine?

Hydrocodone-chlorpheniramine is a combination cough suppressant, plus antihistamine used to treat allergy symptoms of the upper respiratory tract, the flu and the common cold. It is not a cure for these conditions, but may be used to control symptoms, such as cough, sneezing, runny or stuffy nose or watery, itchy eyes. Hydrocodone, a form of the narcotic drug codeine, acts as an antitussive, shutting down the part of the brain that causes coughing. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine, meaning it blocks the chemical histamine from causing runny noses and watering eyes. It is prescribed under the brand names HyTan suspension, S-T Forte 2 solution, TussiCaps extended release capsule and Tussionex extended release suspension.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What is roflumilast?
Roflumilast (Daliresp) is a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. It reduces inflammation but does not act di...
Will allergy and sinus medications make me feel drowsy?
Dr. Alan M. Young, MDDr. Alan M. Young, MD
Most allergy and sinus medications will not make you feel drowsy. The types of medicine that would m...
Will my child be uncomfortable using oxygen therapy?
Using a nasal tube or face mask may be uncomfortable for your child at first. Try letting your c...
What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...