What is clemastine?

Clemastine is an antihistamine that is used to treat hay fever symptoms. It can also be used to treat other types of upper respiratory allergy symptoms. Clemastine works by blocking the effects of histamine, which causes coughing, sneezing, runny nose, itching of the nose, itching of the throat and watery eyes. Tavist and Dayhist are two brand name forms available in over-the-counter tablets. Stronger doses of clemastine are available by prescription. Clemastine is used to treat allergy symptoms in adults and children six years of age and older.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Can my child travel while using oxygen therapy?
Using oxygen therapy should not keep your child from traveling. You need to learn the policies o...
How can I tell if my child needs oxygen therapy?
More than likely, you cannot tell if your child needs oxygen therapy. Your child's doctor needs ...
How effective is roflumilast?
Studies have shown that roflumilast can reduce the number of COPD symptom flare-ups. But it has only...
Will allergy and sinus medications make me feel drowsy?
Dr. Alan M. Young, MDDr. Alan M. Young, MD
Most allergy and sinus medications will not make you feel drowsy. The types of medicine that would m...