What is acetylcysteine solution?

Acetylcysteine (also called N-acetylcysteine, or NAC) solution, the active ingredient in Mucomyst, is intended to help thin the mucus that has formed in lungs due to chronic lung problems. Symptoms that are linked to bronchitis, emphysema, cystic fibrosis and other lung diseases can be treated with inhaled acetylcysteine solution. It is inhaled by mouth using a nebulizer (a machine that turns the medicine into a mist so you can inhale it). As an inhaled aerosol, acetylcysteine thins and loosens mucus, making it easier to cough it up. Acetylcysteine is also given by mouth (Mucomyst) or intravenous infusion (Acetadote) to prevent the liver toxicity in cases of acute overdose of the pain medicine acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...
Will allergy and sinus medications make me feel drowsy?
Allergy and sinus medications may make you drowsy. A key ingredient in many over-the-counter formula...
What are the precautions for clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist)?
There are several precautions you should discuss with your doctor and/or pharmacist before taking cl...
What time of day does my child need to receive the oxygen therapy?
What time of day your child receives oxygen therapy depends on how much is needed. Usually, if y...