What is Acetadote?

Acetadote is the brand name of injectable acetylcystine, also called N-acetylcystine, or NAC, the active ingredient used to protect the liver after an acetaminophen overdose. Acetadote works by decreasing the production of the toxic metabolite of acetaminophen. When too much acetaminiohen is taken, the normal metabolic processes get overloaded so the process that produces the toxic metabolite does more. Without the action of Acetadote, the excess toxic metabolite binds to proteins in liver cells and causes the cells to die. In order to receive optimal prevention of liver damage, it must be given within eight hours of acetaminophen ingestion.

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol and numerous drug-combination products. Because of this, it is not difficult to accidentally overdose on acetaminophen.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Will my child be uncomfortable using oxygen therapy?
Using a nasal tube or face mask may be uncomfortable for your child at first. Try letting your c...
Does roflumilast interact with any other medications?
If you are taking a strong CYP3A4 inducer, loxapine, or rifampin, roflumilast can lead to side effec...
What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...
What are on-demand devices for oxygen therapy?
An on-demand device gives you a small amount of oxygen when you need it, usually when you breath...