What is clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist)?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Clemastine (Dayhist Allergy, Tavist) is an antihistamine that is used to treat allergy symptoms. As an antihistamine, clemastine blocks one form of the substance histamine in the body that reacts to allergens in the environment. By blocking histamine, it decreases the symptoms of sneezing, runny nose or red and itchy eyes. Clemastine is similar to other antihistamines like diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

Dayhist Allergy, Tavist and others, are 1.34 mg tablets that are sold over-the-counter for self-treatment. The 2.68 mg tablet and the liquid are prescription only. It should be taken two or three times day (or every eight to 12 hours). Follow the directions on the product packaging or talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions.

Keep clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist) in the same container in which you purchased it. Keep it closed tight and kept in a place where children cannot reach it. The tablets should be stored at room temperature and away from moisture and heat, so do not store in the bathroom or kitchen. Discard if the medication is expired.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

How can I tell if my child needs oxygen therapy?
More than likely, you cannot tell if your child needs oxygen therapy. Your child's doctor needs ...
What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...
Are allergy and sinus medications safe for my child?
Certain allergy and sinus medications have been approved for the use in children. Depending on the s...
What should I know before taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor?
If you have impaired liver function, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor may not be a good option for you....