What should I know about acetylcysteine solution before taking it?

Before taking acetylcysteine solution, tell your doctor about any medical conditions you have, including asthma, lung problems, stomach ulcers or if you're pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor about any allergic reactions you may have had to acetylcysteine, other medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives. Tell your doctor about any prescription or nonprescription medicines or herbal or dietary supplements that you take. As an inhaled aerosol, acetylcysteine solution helps to thin and loosen mucus to make it easier for you to cough it up. If you can't cough it up, you may need to have the mucus suctioned from your lungs. You should also know that acetylctsteine has an unpleasant odor.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Can my child receive oxygen therapy?
Yes, your child can receive oxygen therapy if prescribed by the doctor. Oxygen therapy is used i...
Are allergy and sinus medications safe for my child?
Dr. Alan M. Young, MDDr. Alan M. Young, MD
Most allergy and sinus medications are safe for children over the age of two. If children are under ...
Who should take allergy and sinus medications?
If you have pollen allergy or sinus symptoms, over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription medications ca...
Will my child need oxygen therapy for the rest of his life?
How long your child needs oxygen therapy depends on why he needs oxygen therapy. If your child h...