Are there any risks in taking loratadine?

Certain medical conditions and medications may increase your risk for complications associated with loratadine. You should not use loratadine if you are allergic to any of the active ingredients in this medication. Medical conditions like phenylketonuria (PKU), asthma and kidney or liver problems may increase your chance for adverse reactions or make these conditions worse. Be sure to check with your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing before taking this medication. The safety of the use of this drug during pregnancy or nursing is not known. So, it is not recommended for use while pregnant or nursing. Additionally, the medication amiodarone may interact with loratadine.

Before taking this or any other medication, you should speak with your doctor about the chances of interactions between your medications and medical conditions. If you experience a severe allergic reaction with symptoms, such as swelling of the mouth and tongue, dizziness, difficulty swallowing or breathing, drooling, wheezing, or the person has a loss of consciousness, this is a medical emergency. Call 911.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What are on-demand devices for oxygen therapy?
An on-demand device gives you a small amount of oxygen when you need it, usually when you breath...
Will my child need oxygen therapy for the rest of his life?
How long your child needs oxygen therapy depends on why he needs oxygen therapy. If your child h...
What is roflumilast?
Roflumilast (Daliresp) is a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. It reduces inflammation but does not act di...
How can I tell if my child needs oxygen therapy?
More than likely, you cannot tell if your child needs oxygen therapy. Your child's doctor needs ...