How does Pulmozyme treat cystic fibrosis?

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic condition that affects how mucus and sweat is produced by the body. If you have cystic fibrosis there is a gene that makes your body's mucus thick and sticky, instead of lubricating and moist. The jelly-like mucus builds up in areas of the body making it difficult to breathe and easier for infection to thrive. Cystic fibrosis is most commonly associated with lung issues. However, cystic fibrosis may also cause damage to the liver, sex organs, pancreas, sinuses, and intestinal tract.

Pulmozyme treats cystic fibrosis by mimicking an enzyme that occurs naturally in the body. The enzyme helps your body break down the thickened mucus, making the mucus thinner and making it easier for you to breathe.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

How effective is roflumilast?
Studies have shown that roflumilast can reduce the number of COPD symptom flare-ups. But it has only...
Will I need a humidifier with my oxygen therapy?
If you are using transtracheal oxygen therapy (where oxygen comes in through a small tube insert...
What are on-demand devices for oxygen therapy?
An on-demand device gives you a small amount of oxygen when you need it, usually when you breath...
What should I know before taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor?
If you have impaired liver function, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor may not be a good option for you....