Why does nitric oxide have a calming effect?

In the brain, nitric oxide acts as a neurotransmitter to rapidly transmit messages. Much like the way that the brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine promote don't-worry-be-happy emotions, nitric oxide has a calming effect.

Why? Nitric oxide turns on a chain reaction in our cells that allows our blood vessels to relax and dilate. People with atherosclerosis (clogging and hardening of the arteries) commonly don't make enough nitric oxide to keep their arteries open. The lack of nitric oxide helps to explain the detrimental effects we feel during periods of high stress as well as periods of low sleep. The common angina treatment nitroglycerine increases nitric oxide, dilating blood vessels and thus decreasing heart pain.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What type of oxygen therapy will my child receive?
The type of oxygen therapy your child receives depends on physical activities and how much and h...
What are on-demand devices for oxygen therapy?
An on-demand device gives you a small amount of oxygen when you need it, usually when you breath...
How can I tell if my child needs oxygen therapy?
More than likely, you cannot tell if your child needs oxygen therapy. Your child's doctor needs ...
What is clemastine (Dayhist Allergy or Tavist)?
Clemastine (Dayhist Allergy, Tavist) is an antihistamine that is used to treat allergy symptoms. As ...