How do I use my Flovent Diskus inhaler?

You should use the Flovent Diskus exactly as directed by your doctor.
The medicine is contained in the "Diskus," a flat disk-shaped inhaler that delivers 60 single doses. It also has a dose counter on the top.

The usual dose is two inhalations twice a day. To use the inhaler, follow these directions:

• Hold the diskus inhaler in one hand, place your thumb on the thumb grip and push it away from you until you see the mouthpiece and it snaps into place.
  • With the mouthpiece facing you, slide the lever as far as it will go until you hear a click. 
  • It is now ready to deliver a dose. 
  • Before taking a dose, breathe out fully while holding the inhaler lever away from your mouth.
  • ** You should never exhale into the inhaler. 
  • Hold the mouthpiece to your lips and take a quick, deep breath through your mouth. 
  • ** Inhaling through the mouthpiece is what makes the powder come out of the inhaler.
  • Remove the inhaler and hold your breath for about 10 seconds and then slowly exhale. 
  • Always rinse your mouth with water after using Flovent Diskus and be sure to spit the water out; do not swallow it. Always spit the water out of your mouth. 
  • When you are done, close the Diskus so it is ready for your next dose. 
  • Do not wash the inhaler or try to take it apart. 

Do not use Flovent Diskus while you are experiencing an asthma attack: it will not work quickly enough to help you.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Who should take allergy and sinus medications?
If you have pollen allergy or sinus symptoms, over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription medications ca...
How do I keep my child safe while using oxygen therapy?
Do not smoke, and keep the oxygen away from any open flame or heat. Also, secure oxygen carts in...
Does roflumilast have any side effects?
Side effects from roflumilast may include dizziness, headache, weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea...
How can I tell if my child needs oxygen therapy?
More than likely, you cannot tell if your child needs oxygen therapy. Your child's doctor needs ...