How should I take allergy and sinus medications?

Use allergy and sinus medications as directed by your doctor or follow the instructions on the package label. Many allergy and sinus medications, such as antihistamines and decongestants, are pills which you swallow with a glass of water. Others are sprays that you spray up your nostrils. These may contain salt water or medications. If you have allergies that are hard to control with over-the-counter medications, for example, your doctor may prescribe nasal corticosteroids, which are inhaled. Blow your nose, shake the bottle well and then sniff gently while inhaling the medicine; do not breath deeply, however. Some allergy medicines for the skin may be prescribed as applied ointments.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

What are on-demand devices for oxygen therapy?
An on-demand device gives you a small amount of oxygen when you need it, usually when you breath...
Will I need a humidifier with my oxygen therapy?
If you are using transtracheal oxygen therapy (where oxygen comes in through a small tube insert...
Will allergy and sinus medications make me feel drowsy?
Allergy and sinus medications may make you drowsy. A key ingredient in many over-the-counter formula...
What time of day does my child need to receive the oxygen therapy?
What time of day your child receives oxygen therapy depends on how much is needed. Usually, if y...