How does Kalydeco work to treat cystic fibrosis?

Kalydeco (ivacaftor) works to treat a form of cystic fibrosis (CF) caused by a certain mutation (6551D) in a specific gene. The gene is called the transmembrane conductance regulator. Kalydeco works by improving the function of a protein in the body in people who have this gene mutation. By improving the function of this protein, Kalydeco prevents some of the build-up of thick mucus in the lungs that is a hallmark of CF and helps with other symptoms as well.

Kalydeco is the first medication that treats the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis. However, it does not treat the most common form of CF.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Can my child receive oxygen therapy?
Yes, your child can receive oxygen therapy if prescribed by the doctor. Oxygen therapy is used i...
What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...
Does roflumilast have any side effects?
Side effects from roflumilast may include dizziness, headache, weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea...
Can my child travel while using oxygen therapy?
Using oxygen therapy should not keep your child from traveling. You need to learn the policies o...