Are there generic versions of allergy and sinus medications?

Most allergy and sinus medications, whether over-the-counter or prescription, are available as generics. For example, many antihistamines and nasal decogestants are available in generic form, for example:
  • chlorpheniramine is the generic of Chlor-Trimeton;
  • diphenhydramine is the generic of Benadryl;
  • loratadine is the generic of Claritin;
  • cetirizine is the generic of Zyrtec;
  • pseudoephedrine if the generic of Sudafed;
  • phenylephrine is the generic of Sudafed PE
However, some newer prescription allergy and sinus medications do not yet have a generic equivalent. For example, Clarinex is the brand medication with active ingredient desloratadine, but desloratadine is not available as a generic yet. If you are taking a brand-name medication for allergy and sinus, you can ask your pharmacist if there is a generic version available.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Does roflumilast interact with any other medications?
If you are taking a strong CYP3A4 inducer, loxapine, or rifampin, roflumilast can lead to side effec...
What is roflumilast?
Roflumilast (Daliresp) is a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. It reduces inflammation but does not act di...
What should I do if my doctor won't give me an antibiotic?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If your doctor won't give you an antibiotic and you don't understand why you're not getting one, ask...
How do I keep my child safe while using oxygen therapy?
Do not smoke, and keep the oxygen away from any open flame or heat. Also, secure oxygen carts in...