What is the difference between diphenhydramine and cetirizine?

Diphenhydramine is a first-generation antihistamine and cetirizine is a second-generation antihistamine. They are both used for the treatment of allergy symptoms. The difference between the two drugs is that a first-generation antihistamine is more likely to cause side effects like drowsiness and to interact with other medications. Diphenhydramine is more similar to medications like brompheniramine, dimenhydrinate, doxylamine and chlorpheniramine. Cetirizine is more similar to loratadine.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Will I need a humidifier with my oxygen therapy?
If you are using transtracheal oxygen therapy (where oxygen comes in through a small tube insert...
Can my child receive oxygen therapy?
Yes, your child can receive oxygen therapy if prescribed by the doctor. Oxygen therapy is used i...
What time of day does my child need to receive the oxygen therapy?
What time of day your child receives oxygen therapy depends on how much is needed. Usually, if y...
Can my child travel while using oxygen therapy?
Using oxygen therapy should not keep your child from traveling. You need to learn the policies o...