Advertisement

Can cyproheptadine (Periactin) be overdosed?

Like many other drugs, cyproheptadine (Periactin) can certainly be overdosed. If you or someone you know has taken an overdose, seek immediate medical attention and call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.  Here are some symptoms that may be a sign of an overdose:  

  • Chest congestion
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Dizziness
  • Dry mouth, nose and throat
  • Drowsiness
  • Excitement (especially in children)
  • Headaches
  • Muscle weakness
  • Nausea
  • Nervousness
  • Problems with your vision

Continue Learning about Respiratory Agent

Will I need a humidifier with my oxygen therapy?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
If you are using transtracheal oxygen therapy (where oxygen comes in through a small tube insert...
More Answers
How do I keep my child safe while using oxygen therapy?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Do not smoke, and keep the oxygen away from any open flame or heat. Also, secure oxygen carts in...
More Answers
Should I call my doctor if my child has problems using oxygen?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Call your child's doctor if your child has any problems using oxygen therapy. If your child has ...
More Answers
What should I know before taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you have impaired liver function, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor may not be a good option for you....
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.