How do I know which pollens are triggering my allergies?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology

To find out which pollens are triggering your allergies, all it takes is a simple doctor's visit, says allergy and immunology specialist Dr. Clifford Bassett. Learn the details by watching this video.

Love in the air may elicit a romantic response from amorous plant life, but for allergy suffers, it guarantees an unpleasant allergic response. The terrible trio of grass pollens, weed pollens, and tree pollens causes misery for allergy sufferers, particularly from spring to fall. Unlike pollens from shrubs and flowers, this trio releases pollens that are, numerous, light and easily transported by the wind.

But how do you know what kind of pollen causes you the most trouble? Simply observe when your symptoms start and then when they wane, and then compare them to the pollination seasons of common allergens. Tree pollens, for example, herald the beginning of allergy season. Although pollen seasons vary by geographic region, the stately, shade-producing trees we all know and love - sycamore, box elder, chestnut, ash, cottonwood, oak, elm, willow, maple cedar, walnut, and more - typically send out pollen showers from March through May.

But thankfully for unhappy noses and irritated lungs, tree pollination season is short-lived.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
How can I lessen allergic reactions to pets?
Using a vacuum with a hepa filter can help reduce your exposure to animal allergens. Watch as veteri...
What should I do if I am allergic to dust mites?
Dr. Tania M. Elliott, MDDr. Tania M. Elliott, MD
Dust mites, which causes dust allergies, live in your bedding, furniture and carpets, so it's common...
Can cockroaches cause my respiratory allergy symptoms?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Cockroaches are a serious trigger for asthma, which is one of the reasons that the urban poor have s...