How do I know which pollens are triggering my allergies?

Love in the air may elicit a romantic response from amorous plant life, but for allergy suffers, it guarantees an unpleasant allergic response. The terrible trio of grass pollens, weed pollens, and tree pollens causes misery for allergy sufferers, particularly from spring to fall. Unlike pollens from shrubs and flowers, this trio releases pollens that are, numerous, light and easily transported by the wind.

But how do you know what kind of pollen causes you the most trouble? Simply observe when your symptoms start and then when they wane, and then compare them to the pollination seasons of common allergens. Tree pollens, for example, herald the beginning of allergy season. Although pollen seasons vary by geographic region, the stately, shade-producing trees we all know and love - sycamore, box elder, chestnut, ash, cottonwood, oak, elm, willow, maple cedar, walnut, and more - typically send out pollen showers from March through May.

But thankfully for unhappy noses and irritated lungs, tree pollination season is short-lived.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies