What is pollen?

Pollen is the powdery grains that are carried by the wind or insects from plants to allow for reproduction. Unfortunately, pollen is also the source of allergies for many people. The most common allergy producing pollen comes from plants that have small powdery pollen such as trees, grasses, and weeds. Each plant has its own pollen season that may begin as early as January and end as late as October.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

What are respiratory allergies?
Respiratory allergies occur when the immune system has a negative reaction to some sort of airborne ...
What should I do if I am allergic to dust mites?
Dr. Tania M. Elliott, MDDr. Tania M. Elliott, MD
Dust mites, which causes dust allergies, live in your bedding, furniture and carpets, so it's common...
How are respiratory allergies diagnosed?
In order to diagnose respiratory allergies, a doctor will need to examine you and have you describe ...
How can I lessen allergic reactions to pets?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
If a child is allergic to a pet, the recommendation is usually to get rid of the pet. However, in th...