What should I do if I am allergic to dust mites?

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America recommends the following tips to help reduce the number of dust mites in your home:

• Cover mattresses and pillows in zippered dust-proof covers.
  • Wash sheets and blankets weekly in hot water (at least 130 degrees F).
  • Remove wall-to-wall carpeting from your bedroom as well as blinds, curtains, blankets, upholstered furniture, and down-filled covers and pillows.
  • Keep pets out of the bedroom.
  • Wear a filter mask when cleaning in the bedroom.
  • Vacuuming and dusting can stir up dust, so try to stay out of the bedroom after cleaning. Also, use a vacuum with a high-efficiency particulate accumulator (HEPA) filter or a double-layered bag.
  • Use a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity in your home to less than 50 percent as dust mites thrive in humid environments.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies