How can I prevent a pet allergy in my child?

Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine said that infants raised in homes with two or more cats and dogs developed allergies at roughly half the rate as children in pet-free homes. Moreover, they were less allergic not just to dogs and cats but to pollens and other common allergens as well. Other studies have supported those findings, but others have not.

Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Having dogs and cats around during the first year of life may help kids dodge disease. Research has shown that children growing up in households with two or more pets were 50 percent less likely to react to allergens in the future compared with children growing up without pets. These allergens included not only cat and dog dander but also molds, grasses and other common allergens.

In an ideal world, you'll want to have the pets before the kids. Why? That way, your newborn will be exposed to the animal's allergens from the get-go, so his immune system will learn how to handle them and thus reduce risk of allergy. If you have a family history of pet allergies, you may have to choose not to have any furry pets at all (fish are nice . . . ), or do some research on dogs to find some of the less allergenic breeds, such as poodles and Labradoodles.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
Can I be allergic to other people's pets but not my own?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
People often report that they are allergic to other pets but not to their own. They may not have acu...
How can I get rid of dust mites?
 Follow these suggestions: Zip your mattresses and pillows into dust-mite covers. Similar to regu...
Can respiratory allergies be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most effective way to prevent respiratory allergies is to limit your exposure to allergens. Depe...