What common pets can cause allergic reactions?

Birds, gerbils, mice, guinea pigs, rats, bunnies and horses can all cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to their dander and, with some animals, their saliva. But good news for frog and snake enthusiasts: Amphibians and reptiles aren't allergenic.

Fish seem to be relatively free of allergens, given that they generally don't shed in our living room. However, just because they don't have dander doesn't mean you're in the clear: Aquarium owners should be on the lookout for mold spores growing around the fish tank.

Dander (flaky, dead skin cells), not pet hair, is what causes allergies in individuals. Since all dogs have skin (and thus dander), there are not any allergy-free breeds.

However, that does not mean that all dogs are equally likely to cause an allergic reaction. There is quite a bit of breed-to-breed difference in dog allergen. One person may tolerate a certain breed better than another breed.

In cats, however, the most common allergen accounts for about 90 percent of the allergies. If you're allergic to one cat, then you are most likely allergic to all of them.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
Can I be allergic to other people's pets but not my own?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
People often report that they are allergic to other pets but not to their own. They may not have acu...
How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to pollen?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To protect your child from an allergic reaction to pollen you can attempt to avoid the allergen. For...
What are respiratory allergies?
Respiratory allergies occur when the immune system has a negative reaction to some sort of airborne ...