A Answers (3)
Eating certain types of fruits and vegetables can increase your chances of having allergy symptoms, says allergy specialist Dr. Clifford Bassett. To find out which foods can be problematic, watch this video.
Premedication with intranasal steroids and an antihistamine approximately two weeks before the start of the season is usually very helpful, and continuing that care for the balance will make a big difference. Also at those times, especially when your car is covered with pollen, wash the car, put on the air conditioner and drive with the windows closed.
Here are some tips on surviving spring pollen:
- Plan indoor play with Fido on days when pollen counts are
particularly high -- perhaps at an indoor play area for dogs
where you can both run around, toss a ball, and get a bit of
- Wait until mid-morning or afternoon to head outside. Most plants
pollinate between 5 and 9 a.m., so early morning hours can
be the worst.
- Take your walks before it gets windy, since winds can stir up
- After being out in heavy pollen, toss all of your clothes in the
laundry and take a shower to wash off pollen you might
otherwise bring into the house. Be especially sure to wash
out your pollen-catching hair.
- Give Fido extra baths during high pollen times, since he can also
bring pollen into your house.
- Consider wearing a mask when working outdoors during high pollen
times -- such as when gardening or mowing.
- Plan a weekend getaway to the beach or shore to give yourself a
- Change your bedding weekly and dust frequently.
- Keep windows in your house and car closed.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.