How can I lessen allergic reactions to pets?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Using a vacuum with a hepa filter can help reduce your exposure to animal allergens. Watch as veterinarian Marty Decker and Dr. Oz discuss ways you can reduce your exposure to animal allergens.

Intermountain Registered Dietitians
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Once you know your allergens, the best strategy is to avoid or reduce your exposure to them whenever possible.

• If possible, remove the animal from your home, and avoid visiting family or friends with pets.
  • At a minimum, keep pets off of the bed and out of the bedroom.
  • Block heating vents, or place filters over them.
  • When possible, remove cloth-covered furniture from your home.
  • Replace carpets with solid surface flooring.
  • If you have a pet, consider a HEPA filter to clean the air in your home. (HEPA filters help pick up the small, fine dander that cats produce, though they may be less effective in picking up dander from dogs.

If a child is allergic to a pet, the recommendation is usually to get rid of the pet. However, in this video, I will give tips on how you can manage allergies with a pet in the house.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
How do I know if pollen levels are high?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Allergists and meteorologists can help you stay on top of your pollen allergies because they are con...
How can immunotherapy help my respiratory allergy symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Avoiding airborne allergens can be difficult, so immunotherapy may be a good treatment option for pe...
What are the symptoms of respiratory allergies?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The severity of respiratory allergy symptoms depends on each individual person, but in most cases, s...