How can immunotherapy help my respiratory allergy symptoms?

Avoiding airborne allergens can be difficult, so immunotherapy may be a good treatment option for people with respiratory allergies. Immunotherapy, or desensitization, involves a series of shots or injections that put a tiny amount of the allergen into the patient's body. This helps allergy sufferers build up a tolerance to their allergens. Injections are given every two to six weeks, and it may take as long as three or four years of injections to fully control symptoms.

Immunotherapy can help prevent and minimize allergic reactions, but it's not a "cure" and it doesn't work for everyone. Treatment depends on each individual and their particular triggers, and the treatment is more effective for certain allergies (like respiratory allergies) than for others (like food allergies). Luckily, people with respiratory allergies who can't easily avoid their triggering substances often respond well to immunotherapy. In fact, some of the more common allergens that can be addressed using allergy shots include pollen, dust and mold.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
Can I be allergic to other people's pets but not my own?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
People often report that they are allergic to other pets but not to their own. They may not have acu...
How can I prevent a pet allergy in my child?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine said that infants raised in homes with two ...
Can cockroaches cause my respiratory allergy symptoms?
Cockroaches are a serious trigger for asthma, which is one of the reasons that the urban poor have s...