How can I avoid pet dander?

It is best to avoid cats or dogs if you are allergic to them and avoid visiting people with pets, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. If you do live with a pet, the following steps may help but not completely eliminate your allergy:
  • Remove wall-to-wall carpeting as it can trap dander.
  • Wear a face mask to dust or vacuum as this can stir up pet dander. Also, use a vacuum with a high-efficiency particulate accumulator (HEPA) filter or a double-layered bag.
  • Have someone without a pet allergy brush the pet outside and clean the litter box or cage to remove dander.
  • Do not allow your pet in your bedroom.
  • Add an air cleaner with a high-efficiency particulate accumulator (HEPA) filter to central heating and air conditioning.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
What are the symptoms of respiratory allergies?
The severity of respiratory allergy symptoms depends on each individual person, but in most cases, s...
How can I get rid of dust mites?
 Follow these suggestions: Zip your mattresses and pillows into dust-mite covers. Similar to regu...
How are respiratory allergies diagnosed?
In order to diagnose respiratory allergies, a doctor will need to examine you and have you describe ...