How can I get rid of dust mites?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Follow these suggestions:

• Zip your mattresses and pillows into dust-mite covers. Similar to regular bedding covers but less permeable, these seal dust mites in so they suffocate and are kept clear of your space. Two things to look for when you shop: pores that are under 10 microns in size (to keep the buggers locked in) and fabric that is 100 percent cotton, if possible, so it's breathable and cool.
  • Wash bedding in hot water (at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit).
  • For items that can't be covered or easily cleaned, such as upholstery or curtains, sprinkle or spray on a tannic-acid solution (found at allergy-control retailers) that neutralizes the proteins caused by dust mites and pet dander, so they won't trigger an allergic reaction.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
What are respiratory allergies?
Respiratory allergies occur when the immune system has a negative reaction to some sort of airborne ...
What is the difference between generic and name-brand antihistamines?
Generic medications are an affordable alternative to name brands. Look for the USP seal, which indic...
How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to pollen?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To protect your child from an allergic reaction to pollen you can attempt to avoid the allergen. For...