Will continuous exposure to pets decrease allergies?

Wishful thinking aside, continuous exposure to pets won't decrease allergies. The absolute best way to relieve any symptoms is to remove the pet or pets from the home. If removing the pet or pets is not an option, then pet owners should keep the pet or pets in question out of bedrooms, bathe the pet weekly to reduce the airborne allergen count, have a non-allergic family member brush the pet outdoors, and clean the animal's cage and/or litter box frequently. You should also use a HEPA filter in the bedroom and remove carpets and rugs.
Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Continuous exposure to pets will not decrease allergies.  Those pets that are known to cause significant allergic reactions should be removed from the home of the allergic patient to avoid possible progression of symptoms.  A "trial" removal of a pet for a few days or even weeks may be of little value since an average of 20 weeks is required for allergen levels to reach levels found in homes without pets.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
How can I get rid of dust mites?
 Follow these suggestions: Zip your mattresses and pillows into dust-mite covers. Similar to regu...
What common pets can cause allergic reactions?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Birds, gerbils, mice, guinea pigs, rats, bunnies and horses can all cause allergic reactions in peop...
How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to pollen?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To protect your child from an allergic reaction to pollen you can attempt to avoid the allergen. For...