Can respiratory allergies be prevented?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The most effective way to prevent respiratory allergies is to limit your exposure to allergens. Depending on the substances that trigger your respiratory allergy symptoms, it may be difficult to avoid them. However, there are some things you can do to limit your exposure. Manage household allergens by dusting and vacuuming frequently, scheduling regular exterminator visits, and removing the carpeting from your home. It's especially important to keep your bedroom allergen-free, so wash bedding often and use special pillowcases and mattress covers that help control dust and dust mites. Avoid mold and pollen by keeping your windows and doors shut whenever possible.

Talk to your doctor to discuss other ways to prevent respiratory allergies.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
Can I be allergic to other people's pets but not my own?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
People often report that they are allergic to other pets but not to their own. They may not have acu...
How can I lessen allergic reactions to pets?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
If a child is allergic to a pet, the recommendation is usually to get rid of the pet. However, in th...
How can I prevent a pet allergy in my child?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine said that infants raised in homes with two ...