What is the tempo that I should be performing my weight training?

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you will perform tempos from slow, to moderate, to explosive. When you are working on endurance or trying to improve joint stability, you should perform your exercises at a slow pace that emphasizes the deceleration of the movement (typically when lowering the weight). This type of tempo allows you to spend more time under tension which allows for greater establishment of endurance. If you are trying to increase muscle size a moderate tempo is best. When training for power, your exercises should be performed in an explosive manner and as fast as can be controlled. But regardless of which tempo you are using proper form and technique is paramount to avoid unwanted injury.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training