What is the tempo that I should be performing my weight training?

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you will perform tempos from slow, to moderate, to explosive. When you are working on endurance or trying to improve joint stability, you should perform your exercises at a slow pace that emphasizes the deceleration of the movement (typically when lowering the weight). This type of tempo allows you to spend more time under tension which allows for greater establishment of endurance. If you are trying to increase muscle size a moderate tempo is best. When training for power, your exercises should be performed in an explosive manner and as fast as can be controlled. But regardless of which tempo you are using proper form and technique is paramount to avoid unwanted injury.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
Is it appropriate to do resistance training during the baseball season?
Resistance training should be a part of a baseball or softball player's conditioning plan throughout...
Can resistance training improve my posture?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
Yes, but you need to be in good posture (neutral spine) when you are going the resistance training. ...
How many days per week should I resistance train?
JC Pinzon JC Pinzon
One can do resistance training everyday. There are over 600 muscles in the human body an it would be...