What is a Smith squat in weight training?

Smith squats target the legs. To do a Smith squat, place the Smith bar on your shoulders and hold onto it with your hands. Stand with your feet about hip width apart, toes turned out naturally. Turn the handles, releasing the bar, then sit back into the squat position until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings and glutes. Drive the weight back up from your hips. Don't lock out your knees at the top of the movement.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?
While you can resistance train everyday, for most people it may offer no additional benefits toward ...
Can resistance training benefit the brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
For many years, experts have been touting the benefits of aerobic activity on the brain. Accordi...
What are some ways I can surpass my plateau in resistance training?
To avoid hitting a plateau, you should vary your workout program often. At least every month, yo...