How much weight should I use for resistance training?

Depending on your goals, you can use as low as 10% and as high as 100% of your one repetition max. Your one repetition maximum (1RM) is the heaviest weight you can lift, one time. There are typically four results (physical and physiological adaptations) individuals are trying to accomplish when performing resistance training: endurance, hypertrophy (increasing the size of a muscle), maximal strength, and power. Power adaptations require 1 to 10 repetitions performed as fast as possible at 30 to 45% of the one-repetition maximum (1RM), or approximately 10% of body weight. In other words, you will be lifting very lights weights but as quickly as possible, such as throwing medicine balls. If maximal strength adaptations are desired, the repetition range is one to five at 85 to 100% of the 1RM (or very heavy weight). Common examples of maximal strength exercises include performing heavy squats, dead lifts and bench press. Hypertrophy (muscle growth) is best achieved using 6 to 12 repetitions at 70 to 85% of the 1RM (or moderate weights combined with lots of exercises). Endurance is best achieved by performing 12 to 25 repetitions at 50 to 70% of the 1RM (or light/medium weights with short rest periods).

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?
Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off? While you can resistance train everyday...
If I do cardio, why do I need to do resistance training to tone up?
If I do cardio, why do I need to do resistance training to tone up? Resistance training helps to inc...
Does resistance training burn calories?
Does resistance training burn calories? Resistance training is a great way burn calories during a wo...
Is bodyweight training an effective form of resistance training?
Is bodyweight training an effective form of resistance training? Yes, bodyweight training is very ef...